Thursday 20 December 2012

Love at First Sight? — my entry to the Get Published contest’


The Idea Description:
  She looks across the corridor and finds herself staring at a Greek God. His hair is wavy and black as night, starkly contrasting to his pale skin. She stares at him, stunned speechless by his looks.
  But what she thinks she lacks in beauty, she knows she makes up in courage and sass.
  Men aren’t the only ones making the first move these days.

What Makes This Story ‘Real’:
  This story is about a friend of mine who firmly believe that women are equal with men. So if she finds a man attractive, she is going to do something about it and not just hide her face and blush.
  Gone are the days where a woman waits for the man to make the first move. This story is about courage and confidence.

Extract from the story:
“You’ll look desperate if you go to him and speak to him.” says Tina, my best friend. She is holding a thick volume Marketing Research in front of her face so that I can only see her eyes.
  “What’s so desperate, dude? They don’t worry about looking desperate when they hit on us left, right and centre. We have the right to objectify them as well.” I shrug but my heart is thundering in my chest. I wonder how Tina can’t hear it. For all my talks on feminism, I think I should be able to walk up to a guy and ask for his number. “Look at him, Tina and tell me you don’t want him.”
   “I do want him. All I can think about is grasping that thick black hair of his and stroking his naked chest.” She sighs in a daze.
  “Ew! Keep the details of your dirty fantasies to yourself.”
  “Please,” she huffs, “as if you aren’t thinking of the same things.”
  “I am,” I say taking a deep breath. “And now I’m going to do something about it.” With that I make my way over to the Greek God I’ve had my eyes for all morning.

This is my entry for the HarperCollins–IndiBlogger Get Published contest, which is run with inputs fromYashodhara Lal and HarperCollins India.

No comments:

Post a Comment