Thursday 5 April 2012

If Thoughts Are Actions

If thoughts are actions then a person’s actions are what make that person. You can judge a person by the decision she takes. But, if the right to take those decisions is taken away or willingly surrendered then the very essence of that person disappears. It’s just a theory that's got me wondering.
My friend's sister is studying in London. She'll complete her degree in August.
“So does she want to come to India?” I asked her today when we met.
“She’ll have to,” she answers simply.
"Yes. But does she want to?"
"She'll have to," she repeats.
"You still haven’t answered my question.”
"She doesn’t get a say in it. She'll have to. My aunt and uncle sent her on the condition that when she comes back they'll get her married." There’s that phrase again: “get her married". I’ve heard that sentence sprinkle from my friend’s mouth from time to time over the years. It’s that sentence that bothers me, really. It’s a statement that sounds resigned to my ears. She’s accepted her fate. She doesn’t have an opinion because no one, including herself asked her of what she thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment