Tuesday 24 April 2012

What Law?


When you go abroad, do you litter on the streets like you do here? No. Do you spit on the street like you do here? No. Do you urinate on the street like you do here? No. Do you break the signal while driving? No. Do you cut the line? No.
I prided myself as being a responsible law-abiding citizen of this country. If we behave ourselves there then why act any differently here?
But, it was different today. It’s funny how when you want something really badly you don’t give a flying fuck about rules and laws and being a good citizen.
I had to get to Fame Andheri from Juhu in 20 minutes to make it for Vicky Donor. The first rule I broke was breaking the signal. In my defence, it was green when I was speeding so that I could get away quickly, then it turned yellow when I was almost there and instead of slowing down like a normal person, I panicked and pressed the accelerator. Hard.  It turned red when I was crossing it. I could have stopped and waited for the signal to turn green again like the law abiding citizen I usually am but like I said you just don’t give a shit at that time.
Just my luck, that the police caught me. I apologised profusely and told him how I had to get somewhere urgently. I tactfully skipped the rushing for a movie part. Thought he wouldn’t appreciate it. He asked to see my driving licence. I had a flashback at the moment:
I am walking from Bandra to Juhu singing anti-corruption slogans and feeling extremely patriotic. I’ll try to be as loyal as I can to this country, I promise myself.
 But at the moment I couldn’t seem to care less. I didn’t want to go all the way where you have to go to get your license if it gets confiscated. I showed him a Rs.50 note. He asked for Rs.100. I told him I was a student and settled for Rs.75. That was the second rule I broke. I felt ashamed of myself and vowed to never ever do it again.
There was a huge line when I reached FameAdheri there. However, one counter was closing so the line was relatively short in that one. The guard was blocking the entry for that line but there was a way to slip in between the two lines. Without thinking about how unethical it was to cut a line and how absolutely unfair it was to the others who had been waiting for so long, I slipped in between the two lines and asked the person in the front if he could get us tickets. He accepted but the show was sold out.
And I felt ridiculous to have broken all those laws. It was pointless to have broken the signal and then bribe the police officer to hide a crime that I did commit and then cut a line.
I did, however, catch the next show at CInamax.

No comments:

Post a Comment